The history of the modern Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics (DICP), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), began on March 19th, 1949. Since then, the Institute has undergone many changes, including renaming, as it kept pace with the regional reorganization of research institutions and the research goals of China. Originally the Scientific Research Institute of Dalian University, the Institute later was changed to the Dalian Branch of the Northeastern Scientific Research Institute in 1950. In 1952, it was renamed the Institute of Industrial Chemistry and became an institute of Chinese Academy of Sciences. The Institute was renamed again in 1954 and became the Institute of Petroleum. This name change reflected the urgent demand for petroleum-related research in China due to the lack of oil in the country at that time. In 1962, the Institute’s name was changed to the Institute of Chemical Physics because of an increased emphasis on basic research, in addition to research on petroleum-related processes. Since that time, the Institute has become a multidisciplinary institute. In 1970, the Institute’s name was finally changed to it’s current title: the Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences (DICP).
Since its founding 60 years ago, DICP has spun off three separate institutions within China: the Lanzhou Institute of Chemical Physics, the Institute of Coal Chemistry in Taiyuan, and the 42nd Institute of the Academy of the Coalition of Academic Scientific Computation (CASC) in Xiangfan.
The former directors of the Institute include a list of 10 distinguished scientists, educators, and researchers: Bochuan Qu, Chen Dong, Dayu Zhang, Yijian Gu, Nanquan Lou, Cunhao Zhang, Quan Yuan, Boling Yang, Maicun Deng and Xinhe Bao. At present director is Professor Zhang Tao.